- Excerpts from a statement issued by the Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies and 35 other Egyptian human-rights organizations condemning the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces’ campaign against the country’s civil society organizations and human-rights groups.
- Excerpt from a statement by two top EU officials on the August 5 arrest of former Ukrainian prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko during her trial for “abuse of power.”
- Portions of a June 15 address given by Mongolian president Tsakhia Elbegdorj at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., on the eve of Mongolia’s assumption of the presidency of the Community of Democracies.
- Excerpts from the OAS resolution “Promotion of the Rights to Freedom of Assembly and of Association in the Americas,” passed on June 7.
- Excerpts from a speech given by the former president of Sri Lanka, Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga, noting the country’s difficulties in achieving peace.
- Excerpts from the inaugural address of Dr. Lobsang Sangay, the new prime minister (Kalon Tripa) of the Tibetan government-in-exile in Dharamsala, India.
Documents on Democracy
Issue Date October 2011
Page Numbers 176-183