- Excerpts from a United Nations report on the feasibility of early elections and possible alternatives in Iraq.
- Excerpts from an inaugural address by Georgian president Mikheil Saakashvili delivered in Tbilisi on January 25.
- Excerpts from a letter signed by more than 100 reformist Iranian parliamentarians criticizing Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei for approving the Guardian Council's disqualification of more than 2,000 candidates from the February 20 parliamentary elections.
- Excerpts from a speech by Sierra Leonean activist Zainab Hawa Bangura of the Campaign for Good Governance, delivered at the opening of the World Movement for Democracy Assembly in Durban, South Africa, on February 1.
- A petition published in Lebanon’s al-Nahar newspaper and signed by more than 700 Syrian intellectuals, writers, and lawyers calling for an end to the country’s state of emergency.
Documents on Democracy
Issue Date April 2004
Page Numbers 180-86