- Excerpts from the Alexandria Declaration, a document emanating from a March 2004 conference on Arab reform convened under the auspices of Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak at Egypt’s Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
- Excerpts from an initiative on political reform issued by the first Arab Civil Forum on March 22, meeting in advance of the Arab Summit in Tunis.
- Excerpts from the Tunis Declaration, issued at the end of the Arab Summit, held in Tunisia on May 22-23.
- Excerpts from a June 2 response from 34 Arab nongovernmental organizations to the Arab Summit declaration.
- Excerpts from President Vladimir Putin’s first post-election State of the Nation address, delivered to parliament on May 26.
- Excerpts from a June 4 letter by Ding Zilin, leader of the Tiananmen Mothers movement, marking the fifteenth anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre.
- Excerpts from South African president Thabo Mbeki’s April 27 inaugural address marking the start of his second term in office.
- Excerpts from the foreword to a study on the state of democracy in Latin America, released by the United Nations Development Programme on April 21.
Documents on Democracy
Issue Date July 2004
Page Numbers 179-87