- Excerpts from a February 18 statement by the Lebanese opposition, declaring a “Nonviolent Intifada of Independence and Democracy.”
- Excerpts from a speech by Ukrainian president Viktor Yushchenko, delivered on Kyiv’s Independence Square after he was sworn in on January 23.
- Excerpts from Indonesian president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono’s October 20 inaugural address.
- Excerpts from inaugural remarks by Mahmoud Abbas, delivered after he was sworn in as president of the Palestinian National Authority on January 15.
- Excerpts from a collective statement by Togolese civil society organizations, released in response to the unconstitutional appointment of Fauré Gnassingbé as president of Togo, following the death of his father, President Gnassingbé Eyadéma, on February 5.
- Excerpts from an appeal to the international community issued by 25 Nepalese human rights organizations on February 5 in response to King Gyanendra’s dismissal of Nepal’s democratically elected government.
- Excerpts from Romanian president Traian Basescu’s December 20 inaugural address.
Documents on Democracy
Issue Date April 2005
Page Numbers 178-84